Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Working Girl.


Today was the 2nd time I took Elise with me to the office where I volunteer. Our first visit was Thursday, but today we did some real work. She did so well. As soon as I walked in the door, the girls whisked her away and i didn't see her again for about half an hour. Pretty fun.
She slept most of the time in her car seat while I sorted through supplies for our upcoming cataract surgery project. She learned about stab knives, MVR blades, hynidase, IOL implants, etc. Maybe one day she'll want to be an eye surgeon due to my early indoctrinating. Only time will tell.

I also got to introduce her to some of the preschool teachers from a school we sponsor, and they were so excited to meet her. One cultural funny thing is that if your daughter doesn't have earrings, even if she is 2 weeks old and dressed in pink, they think she is a boy. I can't tell you how many times I have had to explain that she is a girl and why I haven't put earrings in her ears yet. The teachers were very confused. The idea of putting earrings in her ears makes me cringe. When I was in Kindergarten, my Dad tried to pierce my ears. I freaked out and we only got one done. Thus, I wore one earring, usually a red and gold heart, for about a year. How could I do that to her?? Plus, I think her little ear lobes are too cute. I kind of hope she never has earrings. :)

We are going back to work on Thursday for another round of Nescafe, Labneh sandwiches, Chai, coffee, and some inventory. Don't worry, she won't have all the caffeine.

1 comment:

  1. (Cara here. mideastmom is my alter-ego)

    Totally get the earring thing. I caved and got Magdalyn's done before we left the States after she was born (we were between countries, so she was born there), because I knew we'd get questions, if I didn't. Rebekah agonized over Anna's and eventually got them done, but it was later. Can't remember how much later, though.

    One thing, if you do get them done, make sure they're done carefully. An ex-pat friend here had her daughter's done at a corner pharmacy (where it's most commonly done here; also where to buy infant/starter earrings, FYI), and hers are totally lopsided. :-/

    ReplyDelete